So I’d put novel number two on hold back at the end of November when it fast became apparent that I wasn’t going to be able to focus on immersing myself in a twisted psychological thriller whilst at the same time preparing for Arthur’s first Christmas and birthday celebrations. This morning, with him tucked up in the sling and drifting off to sleep, I logged in to Scrivener with some trepidation.
I knew I had it all mapped out – character profiles, chapter by chapter summaries, a growing bank of research – but as for actually writing… I was filled with the fear of the blank page and fairly sure I’d forgotten how to do it.
But then I set my end date. And from that generated targets. And suddenly it didn’t seem such an insanely daunting task. And the lure of the green progress bar became too much to resist. And with the click of a button I’d revealed my intentions to the twitter community. And before I knew it I was writing.
It wasn’t easy, I’m not convinced it’s all that great, but I’ve made a start. And I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have done it without that handy little app.